SAMPLES from Chapters

 Chapter 1 synopsis - Royal? Yes.

Why can we be called “Princess,” daughter of a King?  “Who is he, this King of Glory? The LORD Almighty – he is the King of glory” (Psalm 24:10 from NIV 1984). As a child of God, the King, and in Jesus Christ we are crowned with everlasting joy, glory, love and compassion, blessings, knowledge, righteousness, salvation, and life. “And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.” (I Peter 5:4 NIV 1984)

SAMPLE FROM CHAPTER 1:

  1.       The only crown that Jesus Christ wore during His life on earth was one placed on His head to mock Him … a crown of thorns. He was born, lived, and died in humble conditions, without any possessions that would have drawn attention to His stature and authority as both God’s Son and God Incarnate. But, as a Princess, a child of the King of Glory, God does not leave us without a crown, even if those crowns are symbolic. Scripture is quick to reference all that God crowns us with that is beautiful when we claim our royalty in Him. While our culture crowns with jewels, with what are we crowned? Read aloud the following verses to find the answer(s), emphasizing the words crown, crowns, or crowned:

·         … who redeems your life from the Pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy (Psalm 103:4 NASB) …

·         For the LORD takes delight in his people; he crowns the humble with salvation    (Psalm 149:4 NIV 1984).

·         She will set a garland of grace on your head and present you with a crown of splendor (Proverbs 4:9 NASB).

·         Blessings crown the head of the righteous (Proverbs 10:6 NIV) … 

·         The naive inherit foolishness, But the sensible are crowned with knowledge (Proverbs 14:18 NASB).

·         Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained by a righteous life (Proverbs 16:31 NASB).

·         In that day the LORD Almighty will be a glorious crown, a beautiful wreath for the remnant of his people (Isaiah 28:5 NASB).

·         … and the ransomed of the LORD will return. They will enter Zion with singing; everlasting joy will crown their heads (Isaiah 35:10a NIV 1984).

·         Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing (II Timothy 4:8 NIV 1984).

·          Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him (James 1:12 NIV).

·         And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory  (I Peter 5:4 NASB).

·         Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life (Revelation 2:10b NRSV).

2.      Revelation 3:11 gives us a statement to the value of all that we are crowned with in Jesus Christ:

·        “I am coming soon; hold fast to what you have, so that no one may seize your crown (NRSV).

3.      Which crowns are truly more valuable and precious – those with precious stones or those representing the spiritual gifts of God? Share your thoughts here:

Chapter 2 synopsis - Perfectly Imperfect Beauty

Scripture gives us examples of true beauty in the eyes of the Lord, and also speaks about discretion, the deceit of charm, and the challenge of wisdom versus culture in the name of beauty. We also find and enjoy a bit of humor in Proverbs 11:22 “Like a gold ring in a pig’s shout is a beautiful woman who shows no discretion.” (NLT)

SAMPLE FROM CHAPTER 2:

Perfectly Imperfect Beauty

I have a beautiful diamond solitaire ring, but if you look at it carefully you’ll see the half-carat diamond is flawed. When looked at closely there’s a carbon chip that’s quite visible, and that makes the value of the diamond less. I’ve always been attracted to it because of the flaw, though. The carbon remnant is a reminder of where the diamond came from and the pressure it took to create the diamond.

That flaw within the surrounding beauty of the diamond reminds me of my own imperfections as well. Imperfections are hard to face sometimes. In my late forties, still a time of robust youth, my bout with breast cancer left me feeling like someone I no longer knew, with scars from my bi-lateral mastectomy, complete hair loss from chemotherapy, and dark circles under my formerly bright and eager brown eyes. I have a memory of no longer seeing my former fit and healthy self in the mirror, but rather Gollum from “The Lord of the Rings.” Look that creature up if you need to. Gollum is quite difficult to look at: frail, hairless, with a sunken chest and dark circled eyes - generally unhealthy and undesirable in any form.

But, in that moment of physical discouragement I also realized I still had life. I had breath. I had Hope. Eventually my wounds and scars healed. My hair has grown back. My brightness and eagerness have returned. I am grateful. And though I’d rather not have had those experiences, I’d certainly rather be the person I became because of them.

My imperfect diamond reminds me that much beauty can still be present with flaws, and even result from flaws, especially those created from pressure. That imperfect diamond is evidence that we can emerge quite beautiful from even the most severe pressure. Our imperfections give us qualities and characteristics that are unique, and that may well inspire others who are struggling with similar challenges and self-perceived flaws.

1.       Read aloud the verses that follow:

       Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised   (Proverbs 31:30 NIV)

       How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of the messenger who announces peace, who brings good news, who announces salvation, who says to Zion, “Your God reigns” (Isaiah 52:7 NRSV).

2.      Reflect on the following questions and how the struggles women have with beauty in our culture conflict with God’s word about what is beautiful. 

        a. What are some examples of true beauty in the eyes of the Lord?

        b. In what ways have your seen beauty fade quickly?          

              c. How have you or others in your life been deceived by someone quite charming? 

 4. What is beautiful about the LORD? Seemingly nothing?

       a.  He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground. He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him  (Isaiah 53:2 NIV, a prophesy to Jesus Christ).

Chapter 3 synopsis - Does Your Value Fluctuate Like the Stock Market?

Life circumstances that we value and may use to identify who we are do not remain constant. Things change. Anything of this world that defines us as a person can fail: celebrity, talent, looks, marriage, a profession, health, friends, family. What can we claim as an unchanging and unfailing value? “…because God has said, ‘Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you.’” (Hebrews13:5b NIV)

SAMPLE FROM CHAPTER 3:

  1.       Change is a part of life. It’s so much a part of life that it could almost be called a constant of life, which makes life difficult for those for whom change is difficult. Most all of us want no change to the good and positive aspects of life and our loves and relationships. Most none of us desire our successes to change or start to fail. Yet, change is ultimately inevitable. All of life, even the world in which we live, is transient. 
  2. I find comfort regarding the ultimate change we all face in death in the words of King David. As his time to die drew near, he is recorded in I Kings 2:2a as saying to Solomon his son, “I am going the way of all the earth” (NASB). I hold those words close and they are a help, because they say that change is not unique to me or you. We not alone in aging, in loss, in change, and in death.

          What do you claim as your core value?

    1.      Answering from a perspective of honesty and reality, will the source of the core value you named never change or fail you? If no, what would be helpful for you to consider?

    2.      The one value in life that is eternal and will never fail us is Jesus Christ. In Him we are free to live beyond feelings of uncertainty, fear, guilt, worthlessness, or failure to know our great value in Him. 

    ·        “I tell you the truth, those who listen to my message and believe in God who sent me have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but they have already passed from death into life (John 5:24 NLT).

     

Chapter 4 synopsis - Have You Thought About Your Treasure Lately?

Treasures are highly guarded and protected, and security systems surround most everything of value. Are all great treasures guarded? What do we have that should be guarded, and with what shall we guard it? “Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.” (Proverbs 4:23 NIV)

SAMPLE FROM CHAPTER 4:

  1.       We may think about stewardship and of being careful in the use of our possessions because we believe they ultimately belong to God. And while we may believe that all things belong to God, the concept of God having possessions might still be odd to us. However, the Old Testament contains scripture which states that, in addition to what we own, our very lives belong to God. We, God’s children, are God’s treasured possession. No question about it.

           ·     Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my                          treasured possession (Exodus 19:5a NIV).

           ·     For you are a people holy to the Lord your God. The Lord your God has chosen you out of                      all the peoples on the face of the earth to be his people, his treasured possession                                      (Deuteronomy 7:6 NIV).

·       for you are a people holy to the LORD your God. Out of all the peoples on the face of the earth, the LORD has chosen you to be his treasured possession (Deuteronomy 14:2 NIV).

·         And the LORD has declared this day that you are his people, his treasured possession as he promised, and that you are to keep all his commands (Deuteronomy 26:18­­ NIV).

·         16Then those who feared the Lord talked with each other, and the Lord listened and heard. A scroll of remembrance was written in his presence concerning those who feared the Lord and honored his name. 17“On the day when I act,” says the Lord Almighty, “they will be my treasured possession (Malachi 3:17 NIV).

·         On that day the Lord their God will save them for they are the flock of his people; for like the jewels of a crown they shall shine on his land (Zechariah 9:16 NRSV).

  1.       Do you know that scripture contains nearly 2400 references to our relationship with and management of our material possessions and money? That’s more than the 650 or so references to prayer the Bible holds. No doubt we are aware that prayer is a directed mainstay of our relationship with God and is of utmost importance. The fact that scriptural references to possessions outnumber scriptural references to prayer represents to me God’s understanding of what an important role our possessions and money will have in our lives.

How often each day do you think about money or material things, and what effect does that kind of thinking have on you? 


Chapter 5 synopsis - Is It Just the Rubies and Diamonds that Are Precious?

Even with mention throughout scripture to precious stones and jewels and the recognition of valuable treasures, we are told repeatedly that these are not what we should view as most precious in our lives. “Choose my instruction instead of silver, knowledge rather than choice gold, for wisdom is more precious than rubies.” (Proverbs 8:10-11a NIV)

SAMPLE FROM CHAPTER 5:

  1.       The previous verses point to wisdom and life as precious. God also defines His word and our faith in Jesus Christ as precious.
    •      The law from your mouth is more precious to me than thousands of pieces of silver and gold (Psalm 119:72 NIV).
    •      How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! (Psalm 139:17 NIV).
    •       1Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours: 2Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord. 3His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4aThrough these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature (II Peter 1:1-4a NIV 1984).    
  1.       In Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King, a desire for the precious ring and the power it holds leads to death, destruction, and alienation between friends. While that seems extreme, we may inadvertently do the same with our decisions of what is precious to us. What might we value as precious that can cause us to damage ourselves and/or others?  

Chapter 6 synopsis - Soul Reflection

God’s plan of eternal life through Jesus Christ is one that is cause for the greatest joy of all. Receiving Jesus Christ offers assurance that nothing in this world can touch or destroy. Living and breathing in Him results in a more joyful, peaceful, and beautiful soul, full of praise and thanksgiving to God. “The reward for trusting him will be the salvation of your souls.” (1 Peter 1:9 NLT)

SAMPLE FROM CHAPTER 6:

It had been a hard year for me, nothing like what I had expected life to be and even though I held on to my belief in Jesus Christ and God’s plan for my life I was feeling older than my 42 years, tired, mean, overweight, unattractive, unloved and unlovable. My sister came to the rescue and offered me a two-day getaway trip to Memphis with her, just for fun. We visited Sun Studios, Graceland, stayed at the Heartbreak Hotel, and couldn’t hear ourselves think over the dinner music at a downtown restaurant. It was fast, furious, and loud fun, so much so that I felt renewed and alive inside again. Amidst the clamor, though, at a quiet lunch in a quaint hotel, I had an unexpected and lifechanging gift from God, when, while waiting for our food to arrive, my sister had excused herself for just a few minutes and I sat at the table alone. I glanced around the room casually, just observing the other people in the room when my eyes rested momentarily on an extraordinarily beautiful woman. She was fair of face and there was a grace about her, a quietness that radiated strength and wisdom. She seemed at peace and stood out to me as though a soft light were resting on her face. Moments passed before I realized I was looking at my own reflection in a mirrored wall. I was stunned. Never had I seen myself like that before, and I believe that was a moment when God allowed me to see a reflection of what He loves most…my Soul. That moment changed me forever. I treasure the revelation of the beauty of my Soul Reflection. I pray the same for you.

  1.       Our culture spends lots of energy and money devising ways to take care of the body to stay healthy and extend life spans. There are exercise programs, diet and nutritional management, sleep and relaxation methods, spas for rejuvenation, and theories on how to live longer. The reality is, however, that the death of the body as we know it and an end to life in this world is a part of God’s plan. Death is a concept that is impossible to explain and is something that can leave those still living in a state of sorrow beyond words. Experiencing the death of a loved one can cause mental despair to a point of mental disturbance, to a point of giving up on life. I’ve seen it happen, and to lose one who is still living in addition to the deceased is double the hardship. I pray that we can all trust, rest, and live in God’s plan of life. And He does have a plan. A good one. Claim the comfort found there.

This plan that God offers for eternal life through Jesus Christ is one that is cause for the greatest joy and comfort of all. Receiving Jesus Christ offers assurance that nothing in this world can touch or destroy, and results in a more joyful, peaceful, and beautiful soul full of praise and thanksgiving to God.

·         Give ear and come to me; hear me, that your soul may live. I will make an everlasting covenant with you (Isaiah 55:3 NIV 1984).

·         25For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. 26For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul (Matthew 16:25-26 NASB)?

·         The reward for trusting him will be the salvation of your souls (I Peter 1:9 NLT).

·         To you, O LORD, I lift up my soul (Psalm 25:1 NASB) …

·         Then my soul will rejoice in the LORD and delight in his salvation (Psalm 35:9 NIV 1984).

·         My heart is steadfast, O God; I will sing, I will sing praises, even with my soul (Psalm 108:1 NASB).

·         And Mary said: "My soul glorifies the Lord … Luke 1:46 (NIV)


 Session 7 - Worship & Tiara Celebration

An intimate closing worship service in praise to God, combined with the reverent presentation and receiving of tiaras is a moving and memorable way to end the Bible study. “Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready.” (Revelation 19:7 NIV)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About Rhonda

Reading #35 - from "Beyond Just Tryin' to Live" © Rhonda Hinkle Mitchell Broyles